Monday, December 1, 2008

An Historic Day

It was an historic day yesterday for the Skidmore side of me. For the first time ever, I made my grandmother's salad dressing that I've been enjoying since I was a girl. When I was young, my mom would mix the ingredients and hand me the jar, and then I would perform the ceremonious task of shaking the contents to perfect consistency (I'd literally wait by her side until I could shake them up).

The recipe came from my mom's mom (so, it's probably actually a Patterson recipe, which is my grandmother's maiden name, passed to the Freggens, my mom's maiden name, passed to the Skidmores, my maiden name, and now it's in the Fowlers, which will Lord-willing be my daughter's maiden name someday :).

Anyway, the ingredients you see in the photo above and are very simple. It's sort of a whatever feels good recipe, but there are a few measurements to be had.

Grandma's French Dressing:
Wesson Veg. Oil
Vinegar (any kind will do. When my mom made it for me back in Sept., she used Apple Cider because that's what I had on hand. Last night, I used Balsamic Vinegar because that's all I had.)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
a few dashes of paprika
fresh, finely chopped onion
a few dashes pepper (optional)
a jar

1) In jar, add 3 tbsp. of oil for ever 1 tbsp. of vinegar. (i.e. 9 tbsp. of oil to 3 tbsp. of vinegar)
2) Add remaining ingredients.
3) Shake well.
4) For best taste, let sit overnight before serving.

Gets better with age. :-)

No comments: