Saturday, January 3, 2009

All in a Day's...Something!

This morning, I took some friends to the airport and then, after indulging in a McDonald's breakfast burrito, took myself to Kroger's for some much-needed food shopping. Shopping for food is a chore I've enjoyed since getting married. It's much easier to shop for two than for one, and I enjoy seeing what new, exciting experiences are waiting to be brought to our kitchen.

I spent more than normal, but that's to be expected, because our refrigerator recently ran out of meat, one of the more expensive items on the list. I enjoy stock-piling food--seeing just how much ground beef I can cut up and freeze, knowing that should the world's food market suddenly collapse, we've got enough to last at least a couple months.

You see, I don't plan what we're having, and then shop for what I need. I shop for what's cheap and in bulk and then see what can come of it. What can I say? I live on the wild side, and we've not starved yet. :-)

Our apartment got vacuumed--a relatively new phenomenon, as most of you know. ;-) We're constantly amazed by what our little sucker sucks up (quite literally!). We're still pulling out dog hair from the previous tenant--and did we mention that I went through the entire apartment with clear tape to remedy that situation?

I took a short nap during which I daydreamed about recipes I could make and didn't sleep at all and then headed to work at Sorenson. I've learned I can do video relay in small doses. I'm very grateful for my new job at UT and even more grateful that I can work part time at Sorenson in hopes of some extra cash. Those student loans better watch out!

So, I'm at work and, in between calls, flipping through a new cookbook Len bought me. It's got some really good looking "Quick Food" (hence the name), and some really interesting stuff (baby octopus, anyone?). In any case, we like to experiment, and a couple recipes have already made it on the calendar (Salmon/Dill Potato cakes!).

And the night is not over when I'm off at 5. We're heading down to Vonore to bid goodbye to the sons of Wilker who've been in the area recently. It's sad to see them go, but it only means they'll make it back sooner. Right, Kim and Josh!? :)

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but it's just been that kind of day.

Ya know?

1 comment:

Len said...

Lydia, you will need to let me know how that baby octopus turns out :) Hope there are many exciting and edible recipes yet to be experimented with from the book.