Saturday, August 9, 2008

"The Harvest is Plentiful..."

We've been in our new home a little over two weeks...I finally feel like we're settling. I think it's the pictures. My mom told me that when we confirmed that we were moving, the first thing I should do is take all our pictures off the walls. In the same way that I took them off our old home, I'm working to get them up in our new home. Pictures and wall decorations have a way of making a house a home.

And there's a burden that's on my heart, and I'm not sure where it's going to take me. Save the last year where we lived relatively remotely, I've always lived in the city. Moving back into the city confirmed that I am indeed a city girl.

I'm friends with, live near, and am related to so many who love the private, remoteness of mountains and farms. I appreciate that in them, but I am starting to accept that I am not one of them. Growing up in Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, and Seattle before coming to Tennessee cultivated in me a love for the metropolitan life. I love living four minutes from a Kroger (five if I miss the light :). I don't mind the sound of sirens at night. I like being able to walk next door to borrow an egg if I'm lacking.

My burden, however, is this: we've moved in to a mission field. Both my parents taught me that with all the neighbors we've had over the years. We live in a small apartment, not a dorm room and not a house. I've only seen a handful of the people who we share a building with, and I can only identify one of them by name. They are single, married, old, young, and some seem to be from different countries. I'd love to get into these people's lives and get to know them, develop a relationship.

The cynic in me scoffs: "How? They don't care. And you don't, either, really." And maybe some of that is true, but I can't escape that Jesus does care, and through Him, I can love them and Lord-willing develop relationships with them.

Pray for me on that, will you? It's a burden that I feel nearly every time I pull into our parking lot.

Eight units on our half of our building, times two halves to our building, times five building in our court, times two courts= a lot of opportunity. :-)

Thanks for all you mean to us! We love you all!

1 comment:

Akprestons said...

You bring up a good point about living right in the middle of a mission field. Like you, we live right smack in the middle of lots of opportunity. We are in a little neighborhood, and have yet to meet all of our neighbors. And the ones we *do* know, we aren't very close with. Thanks for the reminder of the importance to be "missionaries" right here at home. I'm sure the Lord will use you guys mightily, and you will be in our prayers that way. I'm glad to hear you're settling in and totally agree with the pictures and wall decorations thing being a big part of making a house a home! Happy homemaking!! :)

Love in Him, Jessica