Saturday, July 12, 2008

Finding God in Where The [Heck] Is Matt?

Do not let the title fool you for I have always been antagonistic towards the “Finding God In…”series. Namely because I believe if one has to write a book uncovering Christian principles in a secular work then Christ-centered spirituality was probably never the intention of the author/artist.

However, at times, there comes a piece of music or art that we as Believers can come to appreciate simply because it features His Creation. I was raised on The Discovery Channel (you know, back before it became “The Macho Programming Channel”) and my father insisted that we watch the ‘nature’ shows, which, as a young tyke, was a great sacrifice because this was before Steve Irwin made nature shows ‘cool’. Even though the producers of these programs never meant to explicitly glorify God with their productions, it was clearly evident that “His invisible attributes, namely, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made” (Romans 1:20).

This week I happened by chance to come across the 2008 version of the Internet phenomenon Where The Hell Is Matt? Though I thought the title was a bit unnecessary, I had a little time on my hands so I clicked on the 5 minute video to see what it was about. After the film was finished, through tear-filled eyes I could not help but glorify God.

As the creator of this film answered the frequently asked question of “What is the point of your videos?” with a very post-modernistic “It is up to you. I’m just dancing,” I could not help but be reminded of the importance of The Great Commission, the beauty of God’s Creation, and some subtle similarities that all of us who are Created in His image share—we love the camera, we can all smile, we can all be a little goofy, and we all have a Creator who sacrificed much for us.

Though you may not have the same spiritual experience as I had while watching this film, I encourage you to keep the following two scriptures in mind while you view this film:

After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.” –Revelation 7:9

Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify your name? For you alone are holy. All nations will come and worship you, for your righteous acts have been revealed. –Revelation 15:4


We suggest that you let the film load as much as it can before you start watching so you will not be interrupted by lag time. Lydia and I hope you enjoy this beautiful film:



Where the Hell is Matt? (2008) from Matthew Harding on Vimeo.

No comments: