Saturday, July 5, 2008

Adventures in Bathing Suit Shopping

So....it's that time again. Time to slather on the sun screen and bake underneath the rays it protects against. That also means it's time to shop til we drop in the store for a suit to swim in.


Here are a couple things I learned my (finally!) successful excursion yesterday:



1. Colors are wonderful--especially patterns.



2. Size matters. It was difficult to find a suit that did not closely resemble the coverage area of one's undergarments.



3. I miss having my mom with me to hang up the suits once they were taken off their hangers to be tried on. (I miss her for other reasons too, but that was the most prominent in my mind yesterday. :)



4. Along the same line as #3, I think I've arrived at an understanding of my mother's insistence of a modest bathing suit--although the selection of modest bathing suits seemed much bigger back then.



5. "...a prudent wife is from the LORD." ~Proverbs 19:14



Finally, some pictures gathered to show what women of a time not too far removed from our own wore to the pool or beach. :)


http://www.old-photos.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html
http://steffart.blogspot.com/2008/01/some-things-i-wish-i-could-wear.html
"A bathing beach policeman measures the distance between a woman's knee and her swim suit, Washington, D.C., 1922. He is enforcing an order that women not wear suits that fell more than six inches above the knee."


http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americannovel/ideas/forbidden_article.html


No comments: