Monday, January 11, 2010

Lydia's Guide to Gift-Giving


I know what you're probably thinking.

"Gift-giving guide? Christmas was just two weeks ago--I've got eleven more months before I have to being thinking about gift-buying, and then I've got another month beyond that before the actual buying begins!"

And you're right...sort of.

You see, I've known for a long time that my love language was gifts. I love receiving gifts. I love looking at a gift received and thinking of the giver every time. I love being surprised by someone thinking enough of me to present me something. But even more than that, I love giving gifts.

I grew up with a mother who is an expert in the gift giving field, namely because she loves giving gifts, too. It gave me a great example to watch, and I thought, instead of waiting until right before Christmas when everyone is scrambling around trying to find that last-minute purchase, why not share what I've learned and observed along the way now?

Maybe next Christmas, you, too, can enjoy giving more than receiving! :)

1) Always be on the lookout. I've bought wedding gifts from Kroger and Christmas gifts at Cracker Barrell. No store is off limits.

2) Think practical. Most people don't need another snow globe lying around. That's why, with such a large family on Kevin's side, we've opted for some food options the past two years--everybody loves food!

3) Budget. I confess--this one is hard for me. I like shopping; I like spending money; I like buying things for other people. But if you decide on a dollar amount or even set aside a specific amount all year leading up to Christmas, you won't be in post-Christmas debt.

4) Keep a list. I tend to do this about two weeks before Christmas. I gather all the items I've been collecting throughout the year, and I write down who's getting what. That way, I won't chance that we forgot nephew number one when gifts are being exchanged (and, yes, before he saw his gift under the tree this year, he did come up and ask if we'd even brought one for him :).

And last...

5) Begin shopping now! I learned this one from my mom, and I must confess, it's my favorite. The day after Christmas was always when she would get a head start on next year's gift buying--fabulous sales and markdowns on items that won't be out of season when next Christmas rolls around. It also creates great stories to share with those you love about how when you saw their gift in the middle of June at a Lavender Festival in the hills of Tennessee, it just spoke their name to you.

Now, I realize that the true meaning of Christmas isn't gifts and stocking up on piles of loot. I do, however, relish the opportunity we have to bless our family (and sometimes friends) and share with them through gift-giving some of the bounty the Lord has allowed us.

May your 2010 bring the joy of the Lord!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice blog and thanks for sharing the Guide to Gift-Giving. It was nice going through blog. Will keep the tips in my mind while giving gifts. Ihampers.co.uk