Sunday, April 11, 2010

6 Reasons Kevin is a Fantastic Teacher (and why he'll be an even better father!)

6. He's not afraid to call it like it is. If you're a male in Kevin's class, you are either acting like a man or a boy. He dispels the myth of adolescence on the first day of class.

5. He makes current events in the world real, starting out each day by asking his students what's going on in the world. If he'd have been my teacher, I would have had a much broader scope of world happenings than I had when I was in 8th grade.

4. He thinks of creative forms of discipline. The kids didn't bring their books to class? No problem. They simply sing a lyric from a Miley Cyrus song in front of the class. "Party in the USA," anyone?

3. He's not afraid to have fun (even with something so seemingly boring as history). Last year, his classroom turned into a veritable street corner, with signs plastered all over encouraging student to vote one way or the other for classmates who were running in Kevin's classes very own presidential election (including various classes assigned at the House, the Senate, and the Supreme Court).

2. The students respect him. Thus they don't want to disappoint him. Thus the only students he's ever calling out in the halls and/or writing up are those that aren't his.

1. He's the boss. There can occasionally be room for discussion/explanation; however there is no room for arguing.

Suffice it to say that I never knew what a history nerd I was until I married one. A love of history and knowledge of our country's past, present, and future is something we hope to pass on one day. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um, someday? Hmmm. You're acting mighty suspiciously, but I better not hear the news on your blog SOMEDAY.

I'm proud of him, too. I"m proud of what a great teacher he is, but mostly for picking such a great wife!

Kim