Monday, October 27, 2008

Some Ideas for a Better Life

So, we just returned from a week-long driving trip through North Carolina. It was great fun. We made lots of memories with friends and family, but I'll get to that later--namely because I have no pictures at present to upload while I'm at work. :)

I did, however, do lots of thinking--25 in the car will do that to a person.

I've always been practical, and these are a few things that I thought of to ease the tension, stress, and general frenzied state that many of us live in. Keep in mind, these are just a couple ideas that I have found make my life a little more enjoyable and stress free.

1) a) If it breaks--fix it.

1) b) If it wears out--replace it.

1) c) If it isn't being used and could be--donate it.

1) d) If it isn't being used and can't be--trash it.

2) Make the bed everyday. As a little girl, I was punished for not making my bed. Grudgingly, though, it instilled in me an appreciation for what a difference a made bed can be in a room. I'm grateful that Kevin and I agree on this--of course, that's not to say that there aren't days when we don't make it until the afternoon... :)

3) Drive a clean car. Again, I'm not the best with this. Over the last week, however, I did look more and more forward to cleaning our car upon arriving home. It didn't take much--a bottle of Windex, some paper towels, and thirty minutes did the trick. Looked like new--well, almost! :)

4) When making purchases for home decor, ask yourself, "Am I willing to dust this?" Sounds basic, right? I can't tell you, though, how many frivolous purchases I've saved myself from by asking this question.

5) When driving, do little else. We should have kept a tally of how many drivers we saw whose eyes were alternating between their cell phone and the road in front. You know, texting, talking, checking the weather, ordering a pizza--all those things normally done while flying down the road at 70 mph.

And that's all for now. I'm not perfect, but I do love to analyze. May these bits and pieces from my life enrich yours as well. Please also feel free to comment and add your own! :)

1 comment:

Akprestons said...

I just saw that youtube with you guys passing McCain's bus! That's AWESOME. Better than passing Obama's right?? lol

And I enjoyed reading your tidbits about how to live a better life. I wish we were better about making the bed. it's so hit and miss at our house for some reason. I was supposed to make my bed growing up to, so I'm wondering if it had the opposite effect on me, haha.. where as now that I don't HAVE to make it, i don't want to! lol..
but I know what you mean about it seeming to make or break the bedroom in terms of cleanliness! :)