Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Run for your life--the allergens are here!


Do you suffer from allergies? Well, I never did...until I moved to Tennessee, lauded as one of the worst places for those who suffer (or will suffer) from allergies. It's gotten worse every passing year, and though I love living here, I'm having to get creative in my allergy prevention or treatment.

Recently I borrowed a home remedies book from my mother-in-law, and it's proven quite the interesting read. I'd like to share some interesting, easy, and hopefully effective treatments for allergies.

1. Air condition your car. If walking outside makes you start wheezing and sneezing, imagine what tearing through all those pollen clouds at 55 mph is going to do. Be sensible, and remember to use air condining in your car. (This one actually saddens me, because I love open windows and a soft breeze or rushing wind through my hair. Since I've started using my ac more, I have noticed improvement, sans the wind-blown hair look...)

2. Keep it clean. People with allergies fare better when dust and grime are kept to a minimum. Try not to use aerosols sprays or harsh products containing chemicals that will irritate your airways.

3. Choose the hot cycle on laundry day. Linens should be washed in water that is at least 130 degrees F to rid them of dust mites and their waste.

4. Throw out your carpets. Carpets may look nice, but they make an ideal home for dust mites, mold, pollen, and pet dander. Instead, opt for throw rugs, which can be easily cleaned in temperatures hot enough to kill dust mites.

5. Minimize clutter. Knicknacks such as dried flowers, books, stuffed animals, or any other homey touch can easily collect dust and allergens. Keep it to a minimum or toss it altogether.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

But Lydia! Half of these suggestions would make Rev. Gore cry! This IS a green blog, dontchano.