Sunday, June 13, 2010

By All Means, Travel!!

So.....we got back last night. It was a whirl-wind two-week trip to all the biggies in Western Europe (London, Paris, and Rome), and while I'm already planning our next trip (though not quite on that scale), Kevin's response last night to whether he was sad this one was over was, "No--I'm ready to be home."

And though I am already ready to be traveling again (just can't help that one), it is good to be back in the familiar, English-speaking land of America. I hope to post more pictures in the coming days, but for now, I've chosen one from each stop to share with you, along with some things that crossed my mind while we were across the pond. Hope you enjoy!

1. I can live on much less than I would have ever thought possible. While there's nothing wrong with keeping just-in-case things around (like that Galileo thermometer in case the actual thermometer goes out or something), simpler is better.

2. Souvenirs are nice, but by all means not necessary. I bought one really nice ring in each city we stopped in. And that was all. We bought a couple, well-chosen gifts for family, and that was all. I must have asked Kevin ten times if he was going to get something, and his response every time was, "The pictures are great souvenirs for me." What a fantastic philosophy!(from the London Eye, overlooking Parliament--the ONLY day it rained on our entire trip!)

3. Spend time (even if only a few days) in a place that does not speak your mother tongue. It's uncomfortable and awkward and very eye-opening (especially for us Americans who tend to think the literal world revolves around us).

4. Along with that, accept that the American way is not the only way. There were no "free refills;" we paid for tap water; we had to sit outside at restaurants because the owner wanted us to pay to use his air conditioning; and public restrooms were not always free. While the American in me cried "foul!" to many of these, it's not necessarily wrong. It's different. Appreciate the differences.(The Eiffel Tower, as taken from the second level of the tower, at night, looking straight up.)

5. One thing I was continually amazed at was how well Kevin and I enjoyed being with each other throughout the entirety of the trip. It's one thing to be married and spend the evenings and weekends with each other, but to spend 24/7 with each other is a completely different ball game. And I loved it.

6. It continually amazes me to see how big our world is, and yet, the Lord loves each of us and cares deeply about a relationship with each of us. Six billion is a lot of people, but not for him. I say that because it's very easy for me to limit Him to my human capacity. His ways are not my ways; nor are my thoughts His thoughts.
(The Roman Colosseum, Rome, Italy).

7. Be proud of your heritage. When we first arrived, I was so paranoid and self-conscious about being an American. I know our reputation is not always the greatest in terms of foreign relations, but we do hail from a great country that affords a lot of rights and freedoms not afforded in other countries. While respecting other cultures is important, I don't think it's any less important to value the parts of our culture that we are blessed to partake in.

Lord willing, there will be more pictures forthcoming. It sure was a trip to remember!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you had such a good time!! Look forward to more pics :)