Monday, March 9, 2009

Hang 'Em High!

We've all got hang ups. Admit it! There are those things that just get your goat like nothing else, regardless of the fact that you neighbor, spouse, or best friend could care less.

As a full-time interpreter, full-time home maker, and full-time wife, I'm learning that not everything that I hang up on needs to be hung. I'd like to share with you some things I'm learning are, at the end of the day, not worth sweating about, and then some things that I believe are worth making a priority.

Things to lay down, not hang up on:

1. A Perfect House. Neither one of us are slobs, but neither are we the most tidy of people all the time...and that's okay. I'm learning to not let a book off the shelf or a remote control on the couch bother me.

2. Kitchen/Bathroom Floors. I know--that sounds disgusting, doesn't it? But it's the truth, and it really doesn't bother us.

3. Dusted House. No, I'm not a fan of those bunnies either, but in the end, I'd rather live with them than kill myself daily trying to annihilate them. They reproduce like bunnies, anyway! I've settled on a good dusting about once a month.

4. A New Meal Every Day. It's very noble to never eat the same thing twice--it's just not very practical.

5. Time with Everyone! I would love to exist in a perpetual state of fellowship (It's what I like to imagine Heaven will be like!). In reality, it's just not possible. We try to make time for Sunday lunches after church with some people and then maybe one or two other get-togethers during the weekend.

Things to hang high:

1. Order, not perfection. Keeping the floor empty of stray items and the clothes hung up can only take a minute if not put off until later.

2. Clean Kitchen Counter Tops and Sinks. It doesn't take much time to wipe the counter and rinse the dishes (even if not wash them), and the lack of pesky pests flitting about will be thanks enough.

3. Clean Clothes. Wash, fold, and put away. There's nothing like having to wear old, dirty, wrinkled clothes. It colors the whole day.

4. Meals. No, we're not health nuts--far from it! But at the end of the day, the last thing I want is to have to scavenge for something to eat. It's helped a lot to plan out our meals week by week. Sometimes I can even prepare dinner the night before.

5. Time with family. There are two of us right now, but we love the idea of adding to our family. And should the Lord allow us children, we're excited about making time with family important and priority.

I hope these encourage, not discourage you. It's a learning process, and I'm excited to be learning alongside some of the best! :-)

1 comment:

Akprestons said...

Love the new layout!!! and... GREAT post by the way. VERY encouraging. :)