Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Woman's Highest Calling

So, I'm stealing from other blogs today. This one is also thanks to my Alaskan friend, Jess. She posted it on her website and, in light of recent current events, it's a very timely post.

Hope you enjoy:
http://humblemusings.com/archives/2008/09/02/a-woman̢۪s-highest-calling/

I have one personal comment regarding the above topic.

When Kevin and I were going through our pre-marital counseling, we were asked to compile a list of what the roles of a husband and wife, respectively, are in marriage. In doing so, I went to Proverbs 31, the ultimate example of a woman who pleases and follows the Lord.

These verses stood out to me:

"She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard." (vs. 16)

"She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night." (vs. 18)

"She makes linen garments and sells them;
she delivers sashes to the merchant." (vs. 24)

This woman is no dummy--in matters of the household or matters (as evidenced above) of business. It's not every woman's lot to work outside the home, and truly, children are a gift from the Lord; however, the choice of a woman, either by necessity or through the Lord's calling, is backed up in Scripture.

She is worthy to rise up and be called "blessed." (vs. 28)

1 comment:

Akprestons said...

AMEN Sister. Proverbs 31 was the place I, too, went during premarital counseling/mentoring, and I perceived, from that passage, a very well-rounded individual who was both a productive mom AND worker OUTside of the home. Interestingly, it doesn't say anything about her 'homeschooling' her kids- haha (even though I do plan to stay home and homeschool my own someday). And yes, I really liked that post at 'humble musings'. :)

Hope you're having a good day!

love jess