Thursday, March 27, 2008

"Even Solomon In All His Splendor...."

I have recently learned that I love Spring. My soul is fed while driving along the highway gazing at the patches of purple, yellow, and white flowers that are suddenly popping up. I took a walk at work yesterday during a break and was captivated by a bird who sat atop a seven-foot bush and sang just because he could. It makes me want to do nothing more than throw my windows open and take a nap. Such is the Spring Fever I've been attacked with around this time of year since moving to East Tennessee. It's a glorious feeling that many times goes frustrated as I am not afforded the free time to satisfy it completely.

Amazing, isn't it, that after such a dreary time as Winter, although beautiful in it's own right with snow-capped mountains and serene outdoors, we are given such a colorful, lively time as Spring?
I've learned recently that I like to work with my hands. It was a revelation given to me one afternoon as I sat lazily on our couch. Finally sick of being lazy, I got up and began preparing dinner, which, to my surprise lifted my spirits. It's my theory that I got this gift of "handiness" from my mother, who also is a master crafts-woman and enjoys being creative with her hands.

While at Wal-Mart the other day, I picked up a $1 box of wildflower seeds, which I planted with great ceremony in our 2ft x 6in planter on our porch. I wasn't expecting much. I couldn't till the earth or walk over the planted seeds to press them down as the box instructed. I knew I would forget to water them, and I could only hope what the dogs would do if they realized something I didn't want them to touch was in there. But, I figured, it would be an adventure in it's own right.

Imagine my surprise when, after only a couple of days, I could see two little green buds sprouting. I actually drug Kevin by the hand from in front of the computer to view them one night. Granted, it is no farm, as our Wilkerson family has begun in Nebraska, and it will bring no lasting sustenance to our family; however, it pleases me nonetheless to see what meager offering the Lord can take and bring something beautiful of it. Seeds have always fascinated me as they are lacking in size compared with their yield.

I'm not sure how large these will grow, as they are wildflowers. We can only hope that the next picture is not us on our porch being accosted by six foot sunflowers. :)

No comments: